How Children Can Suffer from Mold Issues

Molds can be very detrimental to the health and well-being of everyone exposed to it. While symptoms may not manifest right away, a good number of mold-related illnesses often get misdiagnosed as it mimics some symptoms that are more common to other health problems. Super Dry San Diego Water Damage Restoration

Studies show that molds can trigger and induce asthma in children.

Among the most vulnerable to mold problems are children.  Children, especially infants, still have yet to possess a robust immune system that could help them avoid the health problems molds can bring. And the unfortunate thing about it is they can be exposed at home and in school.

Parents Magazine has published a comprehensive article on molds and how it can affect the health and wellbeing of children and babies. In their write-up, they mentioned that molds do not only trigger allergy; it can also cause other forms of illnesses on a child. Signs of Water Damage in the Bathroom

“Unfortunately, doctors are finding that mold allergy is more than just hereditary. A study at the University of Cincinnati revealed that babies exposed to high levels of certain types of household molds have an increased chance of developing multiple allergies later in life. Other research has found that children who live in a home with visible mold and a history of water damage have as much as double the rate of asthma—even if their parents don’t suffer from the disease. Asthma and mold are a particularly risky combination. Most kids with asthma are allergic to mold, and they tend to react more severely to molds than they do to other triggers.”

Read the rest of the article here.

Asthma and molds

The write-up mentioned above was similar to what the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has earlier published. In their web article, they said recent studies that show that molds pose a danger to the respiratory health of children. Warning Signs of Water Damage in the Bathroom

“The IOM also found limited or suggestive evidence linking indoor mold exposure and respiratory illness in otherwise healthy children. In addition, in 2004, the IOM found sufficient evidence to link exposure to damp indoor environments in general to upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough, and wheeze in otherwise healthy people and with asthma symptoms in people with asthma. The IOM also found limited or suggestive evidence linking exposure to damp indoor environments in general to shortness of breath, to respiratory illness in otherwise healthy children.”

Check out the full write-up here.

The National Capital Poison Control also came up with comprehensive information on molds and how it negatively impacts health. Their guide also featured information on how homeowners can deal with the problem. Emergency Commercial Repair

“If mold is present, as determined by visual inspection or a reputable inspector, it should be removed because it can destroy the materials it grows on and is associated with human health problems. Small amounts of mold on hard surfaces can be removed with commercial mold and mildew removers, or with a solution of bleach and water (one cup bleach to one-gallon water).”

The full write-up can be printed out from here.

Mold issues should be addressed right away so as not to affect the overall wellness of household members.